I am a girl who loves a good red lip. It just looks so classy and makes me feel put together. My years of doing makeup and going to Esthetics school has taught me some tips and tricks to nail that perfect red lip look! (Really- these tips can help you achieve the perfect look for any color lipstick)
- Exfoliate. That may sound weird to you but its true. When your lips are dry or chapped, it can make your lipstick look uneven/chunky. You can use a soft sugar scrub, a lip enzyme, or even just gently using a damp wash cloth. Voila! You now have the perfect surface to begin.
- Lip Balm. The very first things you want to apply will be some type of moisturizing lip balm. I personally love Aveda Lip Saver or Renewing Lip Treatment OR Burt’s Bees. Apply a light layer before moving on.
- Lip Liner. I usually recommend buying a neutral or nude lip liner. These colors can go with any colored lipstick and you don’t have to worry about matching a lip liner and lip stick color perfectly. Apply this along your lip line and inside to give a nice primer for your lipstick.
- Lipstick! So now is lipstick time! I apply it generously to my lips and then use a thin brush along the edges to get a very precise line. You can also use a little bit of concealer to clean up the edges to make them look even more precise! DO NOT rub your lips together to distribute the color! It can mess up your lines and make the color look uneven. I also use a bit of face powder and then do another layer of lipstick. This helps the color last longer.
- Lip gloss. The powder you use to set your lip color can make the color look a little more matte. If you like the matte look- awesome! If you want a little more sheen, apply lip gloss last. I love Aveda Lip Glaze. It’s hydrating and not super sticky!
There you go! You now have a great lookin’ red lip! I’m sure there are lots of other tips that can be used to make your lipstick even better; these are just the steps I have found that have helped me rock my red lip. So, go rock it.